Saturday 2 March 2013

Strange Comment!

Yesterday I had a strange comment from a long standing member thats been grating on my mind. His comment was: "Why are you cutting grass, when your not cutting much off?" I was very perplexed by this and quite taken aback, and probably didn't answer the question very well, all I said was "We're presenting the course to make it look nice for the members" He then said "is it worth spending all that money on diesel when your not cutting anything off"? To which I hadn't really an answer apart from again - "We're trying our best to present the course." With that, he wished me good day, and went out to play golf.
As a team of greenkeepers, it is our job to present the course as well as we can. After goodness knows how much rain throughout last year and during the winter months it was nice to be able to actually get a few machines out on the course to take the top growth off and to put a few stripes out there, to get it looking more like a golf course, and not some field!
After my day had finished I went into the office, only to be told that, off the back of playing the course first, we have had 5 new members join today each one saying how well the course was looking for the time of year.................Is that worth £30 of diesel? I certainly think so!
Regards
Leigh

5 comments:

  1. Having been away for 2 months I was stunned today how fantastic the course looked. I had a brilliant game and commented to my friends that I had never seen the bunkers so neat. I think Leigh and his crew are doing a wnderful job.
    A proud member of Trentham Park.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also played the course at the weekend and thought the course was looking really good, admittedly the greens still need time to recover but its good to see the works being done.
    Keep up the good work Leigh.

    PS.. The blogs are very informative and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Played Saturday morning and one of my playing partners who has been a member for two years made the comment" more work has been seen to be done in the last few months then what I have seen during my two years here" well done chaps.
    Let the course do the talking....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the positive comments guys!
    Much appreciated :)

    On behalf of all the ground staff
    Danny

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leigh...Good effort mate. I played my second round of the year yesterday and have to say that the course was looking as good and as tidy as it has done at this time of year for a good few years.

    The greens obviously still need time to recover (and I'm sure they will) but you can tell already how much firmer and truer the putting surfaces will be later in the year.

    It was great to see the course with no real noticable muddy patches and I think that is due to your obvious strategy of diversifying the traffic by not roping off miles of the course so that we all walk the same route.

    Considering the weather we've endured, I was both surprised and delighted by it all. Keep up the good work and if using diesel means that we have a tidy and well presented golf course, then let the strange comments continue, especially if it helps to attract new members.

    ReplyDelete