Thursday 28 March 2013

I'm Dreaming Of A White......Easter.....

I'm not lying, I am actually dreaming of a white easter!........... Wondering what on earth we can do to enable you to go out on the course and enjoy your bank holiday. After having a good look around this morning there is still plenty of snow about as you can see in the few pictures at the bottom.
I know Easter has come early this year, but I honestly can't remember ever having to close a golf course over the bank holiday. As you can imagine this will have a serious knock back on revenue brought in through the Clubhouse/Proshop. We have already had to cancel a society that was due to play tomorrow, and there were also other visitors due to play too which could have bought us some much needed revenue.
We have had temperatures touching a 'barmy' 5degrees today which should of helped to thaw out the snow. The problem is, as you drive onto the car park look at the putting green and glance across the first fairway you would think it fit to go out and play, with hardly any snow visible, however as you move onto the second hole snow becomes very much a feature through 3rd 4th 5th and 6th, and again on 8, 9 10, 11 and 12. I was hopeful of getting at least 12 holes open tomorrow, however I have just heard the weather on the radio and it said its getting down to around -3 tonight with possibly more snow flurries, so i guess all we can do is try our best to get at least some holes open. However I must warn you, these will be on temps until the frost comes completely out of the greens.
On the plus side, again I am pleased to say that it seems we are coming out of this snow spell disease free which is always a good thing as this tells me the greens are nice and healthy, if rather bumpy and untrue from the gravel banding and aeration work just yet! As soon as the temperatures warm up I promise we will give you your suffices back. I'm quite pleased with the 3 greens that we sand injected too, however I really need it to warm up a little so we can pay those some extra special attention.
We have completed many jobs this week, and our workshop is like a shiny new pin with much more room after a massive clear out which has taken 2 lads 4 days to complete. It will be so nice to be able to put our hand on that 16mm socket without having to dredge through a draw full of sockets! And it also satisfies my obsessive compulsive disorder!!
Other jobs that have been done this week include: New signage which has been kindly donated. I'm sure you will agree that they look a heck of a lot better than the lime green 'pub signs' that they replaced. Trees removed on the back corner of the putting green. My reasons for doing this are mainly for first impressions as you are driving towards the clubhouse, with the Stag taking centre stage! Also this will allow more airflow around the putting green. The garden that was getting rather overgrown by the patio area has also been levelled. Decisions on what to do with that area will be made shortly. The path on the first has also has a damn good de-weed. This will be edged up sometime next week.
Thats about it from me, I can smell my tea burning! Heres to some nice weather soon!
Leigh
3rd Fairway 7:30 this morning
2nd Fairway 07:20am

16th Green 8:10am

No comments:

Post a Comment